Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Weekend Picks (Or "Futile, even embarassing, attempts to predict the results of this week's games")

I am not one for predictions. You know this, I know this. If you don't - or didn't - know this, look no further than my shocking and appalling predictions during this summer's World Cup. Brazil was my pick to win it all. I may or may not have called them "unstoppable", but I've blacked that out of my memory. I rated Argentina and Spain as two of the best teams in the world and stated confidently that both would reach the semifinals. My other semifinal pick, Germany, proved to be correct, but that was about it. On the flip side, I couldn't have been more wrong about Italy and France, two teams I called "crap" and "lucky to advance". Yep, I'm a genius. So for more enlightenment into what to expect in the near future, stop reading now. But if you're in the mood for a good joke...or maybe you want to use my picks to put money on my predicted losers...or maybe you just couldn't afford another visit to that crack-head psychic down the street that claims that the apocalypse will hit tonight...whatever your motives might be, here are my picks for what should be a thrilling weekend in of top-notch soccer with major showdowns in Germany, England and Spain:

Werder Bremen vs Bayern Munich

I'm a big Werder fan, not in the sense of a true fan but more of an admirer of how they play the game, so I'm tempted to pick them to beat Bayern. In my Bundesliga season preview, I said that these two teams would finish top of the league and, despite underwhelming starts to the season for both of them, I'm not ready to bail on that pick. Werder has the best forward in Germany, Miroslav Klose, and the best midfielder, Torsten Frings, and this season's surprise budding superstar, the Brazilian Diego. Bayern has a far superior team on paper, but we all know that's why they play the games. And even though I think that Pizarro can wreak havoc against a weak Werder backline...and even though I think Bayern is going to win the title come spring...I am a weak man...given to temptation...and I like Werder to win in a shoot-out:

Werder 4
Bayern 3

Manchester United vs Liverpool

Speaking of ill-advised predictions, I thought ManU would slump to a 4th-place finish this year. Boy, was I wrong. They've played some of the best footie seen in the Premiership this season. The fact that they've done so with a sub-par Wayne Rooney and an injured Gabriel Heinze is nothing short of scary. Meanwhile, their Northwest rivals have been one of the real disappointments. Benitez's boys just can't get rolling this year. What was once a stellar defense is now a weakness. Even Reina, normally a reliable keeper, has looked shaky at times. Were this game at Anfield, I'd pick the Reds to snap out of their funk and beat ManU. But the action will take place at Old Trafford, where Rooney should get back to his goalscoring ways and Ronaldo should cement his place as one of the world's most exciting players. But wait! What's this? Liverpool is a desperate team, you say? And Arsenal already went into ManU and saved their season with a big win? And doesn't the more desperate team usually win? Yes, yes, and yes. So I'll predict a draw, with ManU goals from Rooney and Ronaldo but Liverpool answering with strikes from Alonso and Riise. Honors even at the Theater of Dreams.

ManU 2
Liverpool 2

Real Madrid vs Barcelona

As mentioned here before, I think that Fabio Capello is having real problems in his first few months at Real. He is loyal to off-form players like Emerson, plays a far too defensive system, deprives his team of the speed and unpredictability that it desperately needs (and that he has in abundance with Robinho, Reyes, Cassano and Guti). But maybe the 4-1 win over Steaua is the start of a new era. Robinho was in the lineup, Guti was in the center of the attack, and Ramos moved over to right-back. Even Emerson played better in the center of defensive midfield. Raul appears to have re-gained some of the form that made him one of the world's best forwards. Cannavaro and Helguera appear to be gelling into a solid backline. And even Roberto Carlos looked rejuventated on the left wing. It's unfortunate for Real that Ronaldo is suspended thanks to a stupid red card picked up last week against Getafe, but now Van Nistelrooy is playing well up front. What a difference a week makes, but Real looks like a team re-born. Only one small detail: Barcelona isn't Steaua Freakin Bucharest. The Blaugrana are the best team in the world, Ronaldinho is showing signs of getting back to his best, and Andres Iniesta is emerging as la Liga's new star midfielder. And oh yeah, that Messi kid ain't bad either. It won't be a cakewalk for Barca like last year's 3-0 romp, but even though Real is a team that could develop into a great one, Barca already is great. A victory for los Merengues would be better for the title chase in la Liga, but something tells me that's no concern to Barca as they head in to the inferno that will be the Bernabeu come Sunday.

Real 1
Barca 3

p.s. As bad as we are with predictions here at WSB, we were right about one thing in a recent post: Fernando Belluschi's man-of-the-match performance in the superclasico against Boca instantly transformed the River middie into a hot commodity, the latest in a long line of sensational Argentine midfielders (none finer than Fernando Redondo, but that's another story). We predicted that it wouldn't take long for the vultures...er, I mean, the top European clubs, to pounce on the latest prodigy. Well, you heard it here first. A few days ago, the Argentinian paper Ole reported that Atletico Madrid, already the home of Sergio Aguero & Maxi Rodriguez, has come in with a big-money offer to acquire Belluschi during the winter transfer market. Watch this space...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home